Wednesday, August 27, 2014

The Gospel of John.




Jesus the God and Creator.
In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was with God in the beginning.  John 1:1

I remember as a little girl, I thought Jesus began his existence when he was born in Bethlehem. All I had to go on were all the Christmases of seeing him as a baby in a manger. One day, I learned he lived in heaven first and left heaven and came to earth. I don't remember how old I was when I heard this incredible news, but I do remember I was shocked and amazed anyone would leave heaven and come here.

It is still amazing news, that a God would become a man so he could save a world gone wrong. Jesus called himself, "The Son of Man" and "The Son of God." He is now both man and God and ever will be. I don't know what that sacrifice means; I don't know what he gave up - but I hope to know some day.

I am reading a book called, Expositions of Holy Scripture, by Alexander Maclaren. This book goes through the book of John. He says of these verses, "Genesis and John both start, 'In the beginning,' but, while Genesis works downwards from that point and tells what followed, John works upward and tells what preceded - if we can use that term in speaking of what lies beyond time.  Time and creatures came into being, and when they began, the Word 'was.'  (In other words, Jesus is an uncreated being)






No comments: