Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Psalm 61 - We Live Under the Wings of God.


Psalm 61 - What it means to me.
From the ends of the earth I call to you,
I call as my heart grows faint;
lead me to the rock that is higher than I.
For you have been my refuge,
a strong tower against the foe.  Verses 2,3

"Lead me to the rock that is higher than I."  I often pray these words. Looking at myself, life is too much for me. But God, our rock, is enthroned up high. He sees everything and helps me. I love the image that God is a strong tower we can run to and be safe.
I long to dwell in your tent forever
and take refuge in the shelter of your wings.b
For you, God, have heard my vows;
you have given me the heritage of those who fear your name.  Verses 4,5

I do long to live with God forever. That is the heritage of those who believe in him. I also love this new image: dwelling in the shelter of his wings. Like a mother bird cares for her children and hides them under her wings, so God does the same. 

No comments: