Thursday, May 24, 2012

God Will Lead Us.

"The LORD had said to Abram, "Leave your country, your people and your father's household and go to the land I will show you." Genesis 12:1


It wasn't long after the flood until many people were worshiping gods they made for themselves. Abram originally lived in the city of Ur. It was a huge city where they worshiped many gods. The city's main god was called Nanna - the moon god. The name of the city comes from this. 

God asked Abram to leave Ur and go to the countryside in the land of Caanan. He obeyed and went there. When he arrived God actually appeared to him.


"The LORD appeared to Abram and said, "To your offspring I will give this land." So he built an altar there to the LORD, who had appeared to him."


God also told Abram that the Messiah would come from his family. 


"I will make you into a great nation and I will bless you; I will make your name great, and you will be a blessing.I will bless those who bless you, and whoever curses you I will curse; and all peoples on earth will be blessed through you."

What I get from the story of Abraham leaving Ur is that God knows those who love him and he looks after them in special ways. Also, if God asks you to pick up and move - do it! You won't regret it and he will use you and bless you in a wonderful way.  Tomorrow, I will write about how God helped my hubby and me move back to Kelowna from Vancouver.

I like archaeology and I have read about Ur before and seen pictures, but I thought maybe some of you might find it interesting. 


This is the shrine to Nanna, the moon god.


These artifacts were found in the royal tombs of Ur.






http://joseph_berrigan.tripod.com/ancientbabylon/id13.html



5 comments:

Anonymous said...

The awesome truth I see in this story is that Abram was told to leave behind him all family and friends but he did not ....and even in the midst of Abraham's disobedience God still provided and protected...God is a merciful God, Loving God, a God of provision and protection....hello God is Amazing!

Belle said...

That is true, Rhonda. I didn't think of that at all. He is so patient with us.

BelovedBomber said...

Thank you for sharing some of the history and artifacts. That fascinates me! I am always amazed in this story how Abram left before he was told where he was going. What an adventure! I hope I would be brave enough to do that...looking forward to tomorrow's testimony

Desiray said...

Enjoyed the History sis enjoyed it much..happy holiday to you and your family

Belle said...

Happy Weekend! I'm glad you liked the history. God bless.