Friday, April 12, 2013

Life is a Bit Like a Football Game.



I read an article called, "Going the Distance," by Stephen J. Cole. He compared the Christian life to a football player and I liked that analogy.

"Obviously, Christians sin (1 John 1:8, 10). But the pursuit of the Christian is not toward sin, but toward righteousness. During a Monday night football game, an announcer observed that the Chicago Bears’ running back, Walter Payton, had accumulated over nine miles in career rushing yardage. The other announcer remarked, “Yeah, and that’s with somebody knocking him down every 4.6 yards!” A Christian may get knocked down by sin every few yards, but he gets up and keeps moving toward righteousness. It’s his pursuit."

"Again, you need to pursue faith. You don’t wake up some morning with vigorous faith any more than a guy with bulging muscles went to bed one night as a 98-pound weakling and woke up looking like Mr. America! How do you pursue faith? By trusting God in the frustrations, irritations, and trials that He sends your way. You deliberately humble yourself under God’s sovereign hand and cast all your anxieties on Him through prayer, knowing that in spite of how it may seem, He does care for you."

http://bible.org/seriespage/lesson-23-going-distance-1-timothy-611-12

Sometimes I do feel knocked over by sin and life in general. I used to despair about that but I don't any longer. I've learned that God will always be there for me. He will lift me up if I am pushed down or if I fall down all by myself. I know life will get better and I will feel better - I just have to wait and trust in Him.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I smiled as I read your posting title, Going the Distance, this is the subject the Lord has put upon my heart to teach my Sunday school class.....Pressing toward the mark of the prize of the High Calling...Good Morning Belle, have a wonderful SONday

BelovedBomber said...

What a wonderful word! I love the analogy and feel like I have had my fair share of tackles. Though I have been knocked down I will rise...my eyes are fixed on my eternal prize. Can't wait to see Him face to face!

Belle said...

Hello friends! I've been thinking of this football analogy since I wrote this and it has helped me a lot. God bless!