Monday, April 15, 2013

Spiritual Poverty.



"Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven." Matthew 5:3

Poor in spirit - One who is deeply sensible of his spiritual poverty and wretchedness. 

The poor in spirit. The humble, in contrast with the haughty; those sensible of spiritual destitution. The same state of mind is referred to when he speaks elsewhere of a contrite and broken spirit.

http://bible.cc/matthew/5-3.htm

"But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control." Galatians 5:22,23

It's not a great feeling to realize we are poor in spirit. We look at ourselves and compare ourselves to Jesus or other people and see we fall far short. We read this list of the fruits of the Spirit and know we need improvement in all of them.

But Jesus says we are blessed when we realize how worldly and sinful we are. We are fortunate to see we need His help. It is those who think they are good enough who are in darkness. 

We will never believe ourselves to have reached perfection because the only perfect human has been Christ. He covers us with his perfection. Perfection in spirit is a goal to aspire to, and it is a worthy one. Who wouldn't want to have all the fruits of the spirit continually pouring through our life?

The wonderful thing is that as we ask God each day to live his life within us the fruits of the Spirit grow and grow. He has promised us this and I believe Him. But don't put him on a timetable and don't expect to one day feel you've "made it". Look away from yourself and look to Jesus "The Author and Finisher of our faith." Hebrews 12:2

5 comments:

Carol said...

I LOVE the Beatitudes! I teach 6th grade PSR, public school religion one evening a week. We covered the Beatitudes before Easter. Your post is beautifully stated.

PS....I fully agree, don't put Jesus on a timetable. Everything works out in HIS perfect time.

Peace, Carol

Unknown said...

Good Morning Belle,
When I look upon the riches of my Saviour, the Lord Jesus Christ as you stated, it reveals to me just how poor I truly am...poor in righteouness, poor in holiness, poor in love and kindness, long-suffering.....it is only b/c of His incredible riches that I am anything! Enjoyed your post

Just Be Real said...

Thank you for sharing a wonderful message Belle. Blessings.

Belle said...

Hello friends. I appreciate you so much. I pray God will fill us with the fruits of the Spirit.

Anonymous said...

Amen to that one! I always tell Jesus why I can't be as pretty as Him and He tells me that I'm made in His image. Meaning I am beautiful physically and heartily He is changin me into Him (He just told me this in spirit)!
What a beautiful post Belle, hugs hun