Friday, September 20, 2013

Mistreatment by Our Families.



"Dark am I, yet lovely, daughters of Jerusalem, dark like the tents of Kedar, like the tent curtains of Solomon.  Do not stare at me because I am dark, because I am darkened by the sun. My mother's sons were angry with me and made me take care of the vineyards; my own vineyard I had to neglect. Song of Solomon 1:5,6

Life has been hard for this woman. Her brothers have mistreated her and she longs to be with her love. Life is hard here on earth. It takes its toll on our minds and bodies. Many times we long to be with God in heaven where all is light and glory. But no matter how poor, lowly, mistreated or damaged we are in this world, God sees us as lovely.

Gill's Exposition of the Entire Bible
She compares herself to the tents of Kedar, to the inhabitants of those tents, who were of a black or swarthy complexion; 

Jamieson-Fausset-Brown Bible Commentary
 Black—namely, "as the tents of Kedar," equivalent to blackness (Ps 120:5). She draws the image from the black goatskins with which the Scenite Arabs  cover their tents (contrasted with the splendid state tent in which the King was awaiting His bride according to Eastern custom); typifying the darkness of man's natural state. To feel this, and yet also feel one's self in Jesus Christ "comely as the curtains of Solomon," marks the believer

Pulpit Commentary
The brothers, for some reason, had been incensed against her, possibly on account of her favor in the eyes of the king, but more probably for private, family reasons. 

 I was compelled by my brothers to go into the vineyards in the heat of the sun, and the consequence was, as you see, I have not been able to preserve the delicacy of my skin; I have been careless of my personal beauty. The sun has done its work. The reference helps us to recognize the historical background of the poem, and leads naturally to the use of the pastoral language which runs through the whole. The king is a shepherd, and his bride a shepherdess. 

"Tell me, you whom my soul loves, where you pasture your flock, where you make it lie down at noon; for why should I be like one who veils herself beside the flocks of your companions?" Song of Solomon 1:7

Pulpit Commentary
 These words carry on the associations suggested by the previous verse. The bride is longing for the bridegroom; but she cannot think of him yet in any other light than as a companion of her simple country life - he is a shepherd, and she a shepherdess. "Take me into closer fellowship with thyself; let me not remain still only one among the many." 



No comments: