Sunday, September 15, 2013

The Fragrance of Jesus.

Photo by Laitche


"Your oils have a pleasing fragrance, Your name is like purified oil; Therefore the maidens love you." Song of Soloman 1:3

Gill's Exposition of the Entire Bible
 It was usual for lovers to anoint themselves, their hair, garments, &c. to commend themselves to each other; and it was common to commend each other's ointments, and the grateful smell of them (q) none being like them, or so agreeable as theirs: by these ointments may be meant the grace of Christ, the fullness of it, the oil of gladness with which he is anointed above his fellows, and without measure; and which so greatly recommends him to his church and people, Psalm 45:7

Jamieson-Fausset-Brown Bible Commentary
...thy name—Christ's character and office as the "Anointed" (Isa 9:6; 61:1), as "the savor of ointments" are the graces that surround His person (Ps 45:7, 8). Ec 7:1, in its fullest sense, applies to Him. The holy anointing oil of the high priest, which it was death for anyone else to make (so Ac 4:12), implies the exclusive preciousness of Messiah's name (Ex 30:23-28, 31-38). So Mary brake the box of precious ointment over Him, appropriately (Mr 14:5), the broken box typifying His body, which, when broken, diffused all grace: compounded of various spices, &c. (Col 1:19; 2:9); of sweet odor (Eph 5:2).


Sometimes, when walking through the woods, I am overcome by the fragrance of the forest. It always brings a smile to my face and contentment to my heart. For me it has the smell of peace.

 I once used a perfume called True Love. My husband told me it smelled wonderful and many people complimented me on it. Once, when my husband was with co-workers, a woman walked by and the men all wondered what perfume she was wearing, my husband said, "It's True Love." They didn't believe him until one of them asked the girl. It made me happy my hubby liked my perfume so much.

The smell of Thanksgiving dinner, the smell of a newborn baby, the smell of a dozen roses are smells that bring joy. The anointed Christ brings joy with him - that is why people love him. 


2 comments:

Just Be Real said...

Lovely Belle, thank you for sharing. Hugs.

Sherry Ellis said...

True Love was my favorite perfume! I was so upset when they stopped making it.