Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Falling Leaves

1 Corinthians 15:31 "I die daily."


This morning, as I sat outside, I looked across at a large maple tree. It is taller than the houses and covered in golden leaves. Winter is approaching, there is a chill in the air.

There was no breeze, but as I looked, I noticed leaves were falling off the tree. One here, two there - bit by bit the tree was losing it's leaves and going to sleep for the winter months. Little by little, it's glorious covering would fall.

The thought came to me it is like dying to self. Little by little God takes away our sinful nature. Bit by bit he shows us things in our lives that have to die. He does this slowly and for as long as it takes until we are left with nothing but Him.

Then the sun shines - the Son of God. He makes new and beautiful leaves grow. At first they are just buds on the branches. Slowly they grow, we cannot even see the growth as it happens, yet one day the tree is covered in new leaves to give beauty, shade and fruit to make people glad.

No comments: