Thursday, November 25, 2010

God Questions Job.


The book of Job tells the story of a man who endures terrible psychological and physical suffering. God shows us in the first chapter how Satan tells God Job only loves God because he has given him many gifts: children, money, lands, animals, and servants.

Satan tells God if he lets him take away all Job has then Job will curse God and leave him. God tells Satan he can touch everything of Job's but cannot take his life.

When Job loses everything and everyone but his wife, he cannot understand why he is suffering. Job's three friends tell him he must have sinned greatly for God to punish him in this way, but Job can think of nothing he has done. He wishes he had never been born and wishes he could talk with God and question Him.

God appears to talk with Job. He never explains why Job has had these tragedies. Instead, he asks him a long list of questions which I won't quote since there are too many. I will quote four of them.

"Where were you when I laid the foundations of the earth?"

"Will the fault-finder contend with the Almighty?"

"Will you really annul my judgement?"

"Will you condemn me that you may be justified?"

God explains his great wisdom and power by pointing to all creation. He is trying to tell Job he knows what he is doing.

Job answers God, "I know that you can do all things, and that no purpose of yours can be thwarted...Therefore I have declared that which I did not understand, things too wonderful for me which I did not know..."

"But now my eye sees you; therefore I retract, and I repent in dust and ashes."

No comments: