Thursday, November 4, 2010

God Loves Me?


I heard a sermon today by Joyce Meyer. She was preaching salvation in India. As I listened, I realized I still needed to understand the basics - that God loves me no matter what I do. That he is pleased with my efforts to follow him, even though my efforts are full of stumbling and mistakes. That he doesn't want me to worry about my sins or my failings - that he accepts me just as I am each day. That I should enjoy God and my relationship with him. I am learning this, but I still fall back to my old ways of fear.

I was raised in a works-oriented church. The Ten Commandments were memorized, and yet I have read that Jesus said the most important commandment is love. My church is so afraid of sin that they make everyone else afraid of sin. But the Bible says, "Perfect love casts out fear." Love should be preached, love should be emphasized, love should be our ideal - not obedience.

I cried as I listened to her sermon because I knew I still have trouble believing God loves me just as I am. I still have times when I am uncomfortable with him. This is why my daughters don't take their children to church. They have taught their children God is a loving God, and the kids are happy with that. They feel at peace with God. They pray and don't feel condemnation. I am happy for them because they don't have years of brain-washing to overcome in their relationship with God.

No comments: