Friday, November 26, 2010

A Question for Isaiah and Questions for All of Us.


Isaiah, like Elijah, was another great prophet of God. One day God took him to heaven and Isaiah saw, "the Lord sitting on a throne, lofty and exalted..."

God now asked a question of the ones in heaven, "Whom shall I send, and who will go for me?"
Isaiah answered and said, "Here am I, send me." What a wonderful answer! After seeing the majesty of God, Isaiah must have been strengthened for his great work in giving God's messages to the people of Israel.

Reading through the book of Isaiah, God asks the people many questions. Sometimes questions push us to examine why and what we are doing.

"What do you mean by crushing my people and grinding the face of the poor?"
This is an important issue with God; it is mentioned time and time again in the Old Testament and the New.

"To whom will you liken me that I would be his equal?" says the Holy One.

"Why do you say, 'My way is hidden from the Lord, and the justice due me escapes the notice of my God?'"

"Is my hand short that it cannot save? Have I no power to deliver?
Behold, I dry up the sea with my rebuke. I make the rivers in a wilderness."

"Why do you spend money for that which is not bread, and your wages for what does not satisfy?"

The Lord God wants to talk with people. He doesn't just want a one-sided conversation, he wants us to hear what he says in the Bible and he listens to what we say to him. If we have questions for God, he will answer them. Sometimes, like with Job, he will not explain all his reasons for doing things, but he will show us that he is trustworthy.

No comments: