Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Our Daily Bread.

I read Our Daily Bread devotionals almost every day. Since I recently posted a story about feeling old, I thought it would be nice to share what Mr. Fisher wrote. They allow you to copy their articles. www.odb.org

Paul the Aged, by Dennis Fisher.
Celebrating my 60th birthday really changed my perspective on life— I used to think people in their sixties were “old.” Then I started counting the number of productive years I might have left and set the number at 10. I went along with this dead-end kind of thinking until I remembered a very productive co-worker who was 85. So I sought him out to ask what life after 60 was like. He told me of some of the wonderful ministry opportunities the Lord had given him over the last 25 years.
The apostle Paul, referring to himself as “aged” in Philemon 1:9, really resonates with my own sense of aging: “Being such a one as Paul, the aged, . . . I appeal to you for my son Onesimus” (vv.9-10). Paul was asking Philemon to take back his runaway servant Onesimus. Some scholars believe Paul was in his late forties or early fifties when he wrote this—certainly not a senior citizen by today’s standards. But life expectancy in those days was much shorter. Yet despite awareness of his mature years, Paul went on to serve the Lord for several more years.
While we may experience physical or other kinds of limitations, what really matters is that we continue doing what we can for the Lord until He calls us Home.

2 comments:

betty-NZ said...

I tell my stepkids that 'I'm older than dirt' and leave it at that because the number is huge compared to the way I feel. The family assures me that I don't act 'old' and when I tutor at seniornet, I find that the other members seem to look and act a lot older than I feel. In fact one lady asked me is I really qualified (being 50 or older) to join.
With that said, I feel like the Lord has many more productive years for me--hallelujah!

Belle said...

Betty- People say I don't act old either! It seems to me I have more chance to share my faith now then ever because of blogging. This has been a wonderful gift from God.