Friday, July 15, 2011

Song of Solomon


I used to wonder why Song of Solomon was in the Bible. It is a song of love between King Solomon and a woman he was to marry. It is full of beautiful imagery, but why include it in the Bible?

I asked God one day, and it seemed like he said to me that it is showing how our love for Him should be and how His love is for us. Now it makes sense and I love reading this small book. These are my favorite verses:

The Bride:

Like an apple tree among the trees of the forest,
So is my beloved among the young men.
In his shade I took great delight and sat down,
And his fruit was sweet to my taste.
He has brought me to his banquet hall,
And his banner over me is love.

Listen! My beloved!
Behold, he is coming,
Climbing on the mountains,
Leaping on the hills!


The Groom:

Arise, my darling, my beautiful one,
And come with me.
For behold, the winter is past,
The rain is over and gone.
The flowers have appeared in the land;
The time has arrived for pruning the vines,
And the voice of the turtledove has been heard in our land.
The fig tree has ripened its figs,
And the vines in blossom have given forth their fragrance.
Arise, my darling, my beautiful one,
And come with me!

I love the image of God leaping towards us, coming to our window and asking us to come away with him! Wow. It just makes me feel so loved.

3 comments:

Nancy said...

Isn't it amazing that God wants to have that kind of relationship with us......I just finished reading Watchman Nee's book on the Song of Solomon and it is wonderful......explains so much I never knew.......

Thanks for the reminder of our God wants to have an intimate relationship with us.....sometimes I hold to far off........and thanks for your comments on my blog....I always love hearing from you....

Copyboy said...

Seeing I'm of the Jewish persuasion I never heard that passage. Very uplifting.

Belle said...

Nancy- Thanks for telling me about that book. I read some of Watchman Nee's books when I was first a Christian. I will definitely see if I can find a copy.

Copyboy- It is a lovely book. I love the Old Testament. My favorite books are Isaiah and Psalms. You have a wonderful heritage.

To think you are descended from the people whom God chose to safeguard his commandments and his name in a time of universal idol worship! To think, you are a child of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob!