Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Why Did You Doubt?


When Jesus was walking on the water to meet his disciples on the lake, Peter saw him and asked, "Lord, if it is you, command me to come to you on the water." And Jesus said, "Come."

"And Peter got out of the boat, and walked on the water and came toward Jesus. But seeing the wind, he became frightened, and beginning to sink, he cried out, 'Lord, save me!' Immediately Jesus stretched out his hand and took hold of him, and said to him, 'You of little faith; why did you doubt?'"

Peter took his eyes off Jesus and looked at the wind and waves. He became frightened and Jesus had to save him from sinking. He looked at his circumstances instead of at God.

Most of my life I have been afraid.
Afraid of what may happen in the future.
Afraid of a loved one dying.
Afraid of my own death and the pain that may entail.
Afraid for my family's salvation.
Afraid for my own salvation.
Afraid of getting old, infirm and senile.
Afraid people will not like me if they really knew me.

Fear of anything is a lack of faith as Jesus pointed out to Peter. It is an unbelief in God's abiding presence in our lives and that he is in control of everything and will help us through anything.  Fear is an arrow sent by the enemy of all good.

I am slowly learning to be unafraid. It is a much more peaceful and happy life that I now live by faith in the Son of God. Of course my faith is not perfect, but as Paul says, "...one thing I do; forgetting what lies behind and reaching forward to what lies ahead, I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus." Philippians3:13-14

4 comments:

Nancy said...

What a beautiful and meaningful post.....I think often of Peter and am reminded that I need to keep my eyes on Jesus but so often I have focused on the circumstances first.......

Life is definitely a process and each step we take forward builds our faith.....

I hope you have a wonderful weekend....

Belle said...

Thanks, Nancy. Life is a process. It is a learning process every day of our lives.

Trix's Mix said...

A post from the heart Belle - Good food for thought!
I read this today: Worry is like carrying a load of feathers we think are lead. Thought it would make you smile!

Belle said...

Trix- That does make me smile. :) It makes me remember the times I worried myself sick about things that might happen and didn't. All that worry for nothing!