Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Psalm 22:2

Psalm 22:2-3 How I see it.


God, when I pray, it feels like you don't listen and don't answer me. I go to bed at night and can't sleep.

In spite of this, I know you are holy (perfect in goodness). Our praises to you reach heaven.

I have read many Christians say that when they were in deep trouble they felt heaven's door was shut and God wasn't listening. C.S. Lewis said something similar when his wife died and he was filled with grief. 

For some reason I have never thought like that. Perhaps because when I was a child I was taught God always sees and hears everything. I know He always hears my prayers; his answer may be yes, no or wait - but I know he hears.


In this Psalm, the author feels God doesn't hear him. Yet, he realizes God is good and therefore must hear him. He says God loves to hear our praises to him, perhaps because praise will lift us out of depression and anger. We can praise God even in our pain as Paul did when he was in prison. We have to look away from our circumstances as much as possible and look up and know that God is good.

Jesus felt God had forsaken him since he was suffering the second (eternal) death for us. Yet, he still knew his Father was good.

No comments: