Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Psalm 31:5 Jesus Suffers and Dies.

Psalm 31- What it means to me:

Into your hands I commit my spirit;
deliver me, Lord, my faithful God. Verse 5.

In chapter 31, these words mean the most to me because Jesus said them when he died on the cross. "Jesus called out with a loud voice, "Father, into your hands I commit my spirit." When he had said this, he breathed his last." Luke 23:46

 ..."commit my spirit—my life, or myself." Our Saviour used the words on the Cross not as prophetical, but, as many pious men have done, as expressive of His unshaken confidence in God.  He gave up the ghost; breathed out his soul dismissed his spirit, laid down his life, freely and voluntarily, and which no man, or devil, otherwise could have taken away from him. Gill's Exposition of the Entire Bible

Be gracious to me, O LORD, for I am in distress; my eye is wasted from grief; my soul and my body also. For my life is spent with sorrow, and my years with sighing; my strength fails because of my iniquity, and my bones waste away. Verse 9, 10.

David suffered greatly while on the run from King Saul. He was away from his family, his people and the city of God. He was viewed as an outlaw though he had never broken the law.

"Have mercy upon me, O Lord, for I am in trouble",.... A sudden change of case and frame this! and so it is with the people of God; as soon as, out of one trouble, they are in another; these are what are appointed for them, and lie in their pathway to heaven, and are necessary; and under them it is quite right to betake themselves to the Lord, who is a merciful God; and it is best to cast themselves upon his mercy, having no merit of their own to plead with him; and they may freely tell him all their distresses, as the psalmist here does, and hope for grace and mercy to help them in time of need.  Gill's Exposition of the Entire Bible








No comments: