Thursday, February 10, 2011

The Dinner Party.


Jesus told a story of a rich man who gave a dinner party. He invited many people, but none of them wanted to attend. They all made excuses. One said, "I bought a piece of land and I need to go out and look at it. Please excuse me." The next man said, "I bought some cattle and I want to go check them out. Please excuse me." The last man said, "I just got married, I can't come now."

Jesus was giving an example of people who refuse to come to him to be saved. The dinner party is heaven.

What kept these people from wanting heaven? First it is material possessions; a house. Second it was jobs or work; using oxen. Third it was love of people or family; a marriage. These were the priorities of these people. They were completely concerned with things and people. They felt no need of going to the party.

Jesus said those who do not come to the party will die. Why? Because he wants them to? No, because it is the natural result of putting this life first. In heaven, all is love and unselfishness. Possessions mean nothing - God means everything.

Jesus was saying, If we don't want God here, we won't want him there.

2 comments:

Clarence Heller said...

I think that we are often distracted from what we want most. When Jesus met people, he often would ask "What do you want?" even though it could have seemed obvious (doesn't the blind man wish to see?). But I believe that He was inviting people to get in touch with their deepest desires. If we are honest, our deepest desires are not for possessions or honor, but for love, acceptance, freedom, purpose ... a taste of heaven.

Belle said...

Yes, I do think most people do want those things, for God has put a "measure of faith" into every person. I think Jesus was warning us to turn away from the love of th things in this world.