Friday, February 4, 2011

Feelings


Feelings come and go. Sometimes we can feel that life is beautiful. We look at the ocean and feel that life is amazing. We look at people who love us and feel thankful. But we can also look at our bank account and feel fear. We can look at our children and feel worry. We can have someone cut us off in traffic and feel angry.

If we live by our emotions, there is sure to be trouble ahead. Emotions are unstable, unreliable and many times just plain wrong. Our feelings can be hurt by someone, but they didn't mean to hurt us. Yet our feelings can't let it go. We can get sick and our feelings tell us, "You will never get better." But the feelings are wrong and you do get better.

When I was dating my husband I once said to him, "I don't feel like God loves me." He said, "It's a good thing we don't live by our feelings then." I was stunned by his answer at the time, because that is what I did live by. If I felt God didn't love me, then he didn't.

I have learned to distrust my feelings. When I am depressed, I think good thoughts, I quote Bible verses and I remember how God has taken care of me all my life. I rarely let my feelings rule me any more. And I know God loves me, for that is what he says.

"Do not fear, for I am with you;
Do not anxiously look around you, for I am your God.
I will strengthen you, surely I will help you,
Surely I will uphold you with My righteous right hand."
I saiah 41:10

No comments: