Monday, February 14, 2011

Love or Need?


I was struck by something I read today. This is a quote from Our Daily Journey with God, by Mark Whittmer.

"When we love others more than God, we inevitably ask more from them than what they can deliver. Our neediness will eventually suffocate them and our relationship." From http://ourdailyjourney.org

This made so much sense to me. When I didn't believe God loved me, I was always searching for perfect love from a man. Of course, no man can give "perfect" love. No human being can. Only God has perfect love, and until we accept and believe His love we will be looking for love from imperfect people who can never fulfill our desires.

This is the great need in every life, to be loved just as we are. This is the emptiness we feel when we are alone and have time to reflect. This is the God who can fill that emptiness with himself.

2 comments:

Clarence Heller said...

I believe that all love originates in God, so I agree that it is appropriate to start with accepting the love that God offers, and then let it spread through us into the world.

Belle said...

Yes, I believe that also.