Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Faith


I've been reading the book of Hebrews and have finished chapter 11. I love what Paul says about faith. I'd like to write some verses down and what they mean to me.

"Now faith is the assurance you will receive what you hope for." verse 1

When I was first a Christian, I had little faith but I know I had some, for Jesus told us all humanity has a seed of faith in them. But at that time, I was afraid of God. I thought if I did any small thing wrong, he would turn away from me and then punish me. Little wonder I didn't enjoy my walk with Christ.

Over the years my faith has grown. I know God loves me. I know I am his child. What do I hope for? I hope some day to live with him in heaven. I hope to sit at his feet and hear his stories, his wisdom and his love. I believe I will receive what I hope for. By God's grace I will be with him in heaven to be happy and at peace forever more.

"Faith is the conviction of things you have not seen." verse 1

I have never seen God except in dreams, but I believe in him. I cannot see love, truth or justice, but I believe in them. I cannot see the results of the sacrifices I have made, but I believe they will bear fruit. I cannot see why I have had certain trials, but I believe there is a reason and I will understand one day.

"By faith we understand the worlds were prepared by the word of God, so that what is seen was not made of things which are visible." verse2

I believe in the creative power of God. I believe he made the whole universe out of nothing. I believe he created the world in six days and rested the seventh day. I believe he made man in his own image. The world says no, it could not have been done that way. But the Bible says in the fourth commandment, "For in six days, the Lord made heaven and earth, the sea and everything in it..."

Oh Lord, may our faith grow each day. Help us to keep our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith.

6 comments:

Trix's Mix said...

Thanks for this post! My wish the same as yours namely to grow in faith every day! And yes faith certainly means be brave and risk and be adventurous further than what you can see.

Linda said...

Oh how beatiful are the words you have written! My faith has grown over the years too much sweeter and stronger as I grow more in love with Jesus every day. I am so thankful for all that He has done and carried me through. I can't imagine not having my Saviour in my life! Thankyou Belle.

Belle said...

I'm glad you both liked this post. Thanks for the comments and bless you.

betty said...

I think you summed this up very well with describing faith. I too believe God made the world in six days as the Bible says it :)

betty

Covnitkepr1 said...

Just checking back to read any postings you may have written.

I’ve been following and enjoying your blog for a while now and would like to invite you to visit and perhaps follow me back. Sorry I took so long for the invitation.

Belle said...

Corgi- Thanks so much, I'm glad you liked it.

covn- I will go visit you now. Thanks for reading.