Sunday, March 6, 2011

Patience


I want to develop patience in my life. When I am impatient, I tend to run ahead of God and do things myself. When I do this, I get into trouble.

This is an excerpt from, Battlefield of the Mind, by Joyce Meyer.

"For you have need of steadfast patience and endurance, so that you may perform and fully accomplish the will of God, and thus receive and enjoy what is promised."
Hebrews 10:36

"This Scripture tells us that without patience and endurance we will not receive the promises of God. And Hebrews 6:12 tells us that it is only through faith and patience that we inherit the promises.

The proud man runs in the strength of his own flesh and tries to make things happen in his own timing. Prides says, 'I'm ready now!'

Humility says, 'God knows best, and He will not be late!'

A humble man waits patiently; he actually has a reverential fear of moving in the strength of his own flesh. But a proud man tries one thing after another, all to no avail.

Chapter 1 in the book of James teaches us that when we have become perfect, we will be lacking in nothing. The devil cannot control a patient man."

God, teach me to wait for your will to be done. Make me into a patient person.

5 comments:

Clarence Heller said...

Reminds me of that joke. "Lord, plesae give me patience, and give it to me by tomorrow."

Also reminds me of a saying about being versus doing, "Don't just do something, sit there."

Greetings from Niecy said...

Great Post. I think we all need a slice of Humble Pie every once in awhile. Patience really is such a virtue. May God Bless Us with more of it.
God Bless,
Niecy

Belle said...

It seems to be a life-long lesson for everyone!

Liz said...

I went to visit a friend one time and she told me everything in her life had suddenly become a struggle - the kid, the car, the job, etc. She just couldn't understand it. I asked her if she had recently prayed for patience and she said she had started praying for it about a week earlier.

I laughed and told her she was getting what she asked for.

Belle said...

I guess it is true! But what I like about what Joyces says is that the devil cannot control a patient man. If you are calm in every situation, then you won't go getting into trouble. I always get myself into trouble when I am impatient.