Friday, February 3, 2012

Assuming the Worst.


I was reading an article by Tim Schroeder, a pastor at the Trinity Baptist Church here in Kelowna. He said he and his wife were dining out and noticed the woman at the next table kept staring at them. The restaurant was crowded and the Schroeders thought she was listening to them and felt a little upset.

As the evening wore on, they realized the elderly lady had Alzheimer's disease. They spoke with her husband and he told them he was trying to give his wife a nice evening out. The pastor said he felt bad for what he had thought about the woman. He wrote, " I couldn't help but think about how easy it had been to misread the situation and draw wrong conclusions about reality."

I think we are all guilty of assuming wrong motives to people. I have done it many times in my life. But I was thinking today that if we look at people with love we wouldn't think about wrong motives they may have towards us. We would only be thinking about how we could be loving to them and share the love of God with them. I pray for that in my own life.

I would like to give a link to Mr. Shroeder, but I read this in the Daily Courier and they didn't have the article online.

5 comments:

betty-NZ said...

That's something we all should work on. Assuming gets us in trouble more than anything else, I think.

Belle said...

betty- yes, even in our families.

Anonymous said...

Oh how many times, Belle, have I been as this pastor....thankful for the moments as he had b/c it reminds me how desperately I need the Lord as my Saviour ....

Belle said...

Rhonda- We all need Him so much. His ways are so much higher than ours.

momto8 said...

how true!! I remember thinking (judging) this woman for not being polite...then yrs later to find out her terrible history...what a lesson I learned.
I am your newest follower..pls follow back if you can.