Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Why God?


I took my mother and her friend to Walmart today. Over lunch we started talking about death. I told Mom's friend that I missed my grandson. She told me she missed her sister, who died in 2001, and still asks God, "Why did you have to take her?"

This lovely lady works in a nursing home. Along with other residents, she takes care of a woman who is 101 years old. The woman is sickly and is now losing her mental abilities. My mother's friends says she asks God, "Why don't you take her? Her life is awful."

I've asked these questions myself. My daughter says if we knew the answers to these questions we would be God. Very true. Besides, I know we have to learn to trust God in this world of sorrow.

Psalm 31:15  says, "My times are in your hands..." I like the explanation of this verse by Barnes Notes on the Bible:

Barnes' Notes on the Bible
My times are in thy hand - That is, I said this in my trouble; when my friends forsook me, and when my enemies came around me and threatened my life. The meaning is, that all that pertained to him was under the control and at the disposal of God. He would "live" as long as God should please. It was His to give life; His to preserve it; His to take it away. All in relation to life - its origin - its continuance - its changes - its seasons - childhood, youth, middle age, old age - all was in the hand of God. No one, therefore, could take his life before the time that had been appointed by God, and he might calmly commit the whole to him. This we may feel in all seasons of life and in all times of danger; of sickness; of feebleness. We shall live as long as God has appointed; we shall pass through such changes as he directs; we shall die when and where and how he chooses. In the faithful discharge of our duty, therefore, we may commit all these things to him, and leave all at his disposal.

10 comments:

Shelly said...

Your daughter is so right. I think there are just some things that are not questions for this lifetime. It doesn't make it a whole lot easier, though, to accept the tough things.

Belle said...

Shelly- You are right. I try not to question God's work on earth because I am not wise enough to always understand. Trust in his wisdom is essential.

betty-NZ said...

Yes, that's where real faith in God and His wisdom are our only solace.

Just Be Real said...

Powerful words Belle. Yes, this side of heaven there are some questions that will not be answered. Who knows, in heaven it may not even matter once we get there. Blessings and hugs to you dear one.

Anonymous said...

What I am learning and that is we many never know the reason to what GOD does or allows but we must continue to trust and hold on our faith at all times.. AMEN

Belle said...

Thanks for all your comments. It helps me to know we are all in this together, learning to trust God.

momto8 said...

I think these same thoughts many times..but I know for sure God is smarter then me....so His plans are smarter then my plans..

Belle said...

I know you are right. Nice to meet you!

Anonymous said...

About three or four years ago my spiritual mother made a statement and this one statement brings your thoughts to a standstill....Let God be the divine decider of your life....so if I have as you stated given all over to his hands...then today and all that it holds are in the safe keeping of his hands...and he decides who goes and who stays by His Perfect Vision, His Just Judgments, His perfect love and light and life.

Belle said...

Rhonda- I know your spiritual mother is right. God's ways are perfect and beautiful and I must trust in him.