Saturday, February 18, 2012

What Does Repent Mean?


Matthew Chapter 3 has a theme of repentance. John the Baptist came saying, "Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is near."

"Godly sorrow brings repentance..." 2 Cor. 7:10
 Repentance is not a sorrow for our sins, but sometimes the sorrow for what we have done wrong leads us to repentance.

Repent in the Latin means growing wise again. A time and change to think differently. In the Greek, it means a change of mind, a change of the will or heart.

John said to the church leaders, "Produce fruit in keeping with repentance, and do not think you can say to yourselves, 'We have Abraham as our father.'"

These teachers of the law of Moses thought they would be saved by simply being the children of Abraham. They thought it was their birthright. John was saying they needed to think differently (repent) and so have the fruit of the Spirit in their lives, which is love, joy, peace, kindness...etc.

I began to have a change of my mind when I was nineteen. I gave birth to my firstborn daughter. I held her in my arms for the first time and the realization came that I was responsible for this little human being. I felt I was not up to the task of being a good mother and I asked God to help me. I turned towards God that day. My mind was changed, I no longer wanted to be the good-time party girl I had been. I wanted to be a good person and a good mother who was worthy of having this beautiful child.

No comments: