Friday, February 24, 2012

Don't Despise the Messenger.



When the three wise men came from a far country to find Jesus, they were first led to Jerusalem. "When King Herod heard this he was disturbed and all Jerusalem with him." Herod called in the priests and asked where the Messiah was to be born. They told him, "Bethlehem."

The wise men left to go to Bethlehem, but have you ever noticed none of the priests or Pharisees went with them to see if the Messiah had been truly born? Not one of them. Why? Wouldn't you have been overcome with curiosity and gone to see if it was so?

I think they could not believe God had passed them by and communicated with these men, who were not Jews as far as we know. But the Magi were seekers of truth, and I think that is what is important. They were open to the Holy Spirit's leading. The priests were not. God had to bypass them and go to those who would hear his voice.

Later, John the Baptist came preaching, "Repent, for the kingdom of God is at hand." He was proclaiming the beginning of the kingdom of the Messiah. The priests and Pharisees also rejected John. Who was John? A nobody.

When Mary came from Jesus' grave and told the disciples Jesus had appeared to her and had risen from the dead, the disciples didn't believe her. Who was Mary? A woman. Why would Jesus appear to her first? If he had risen, wouldn't he have come to them?

When Jesus was with his disciples, they came to him and said, "Master, we saw someone casting out demons in your name; we tried to stop him because he does not follow along with us." What did Jesus say? "Don't stop him. For whoever is not against you is for you."

Sometimes a message from God will come to us through someone we would never imagine. Someone who doesn't belong to our group or church. We should keep our ears and hearts open. I think I have learned more about how to live the Christian life from Joyce Meyer than from any other person. She doesn't belong to my church and I don't agree with all of her beliefs, but God has used her to break the hold depression had upon me. He has used her to teach me about having true belief. I would have missed out on so much if I had dismissed her.

6 comments:

betty-NZ said...

Great post, it made me think about something new. Oh, I surely know what you mean about getting a message from unexpected sources! That's why being in tune with the Holy Spirit is so important--so you don't miss the message.

Just Be Real said...

I believe, at least in my life, God communicates with me more through others. Although the ultimate communication is His Word, sometimes, I just do not get it and He has to use other sources. Great post Belle. Blessings.

Belle said...

Blessings to both of you today. :)

Anonymous said...

Miss ya Belle Darln'ing...cometh over and sit a spell with me...intrigue me with your joy and peace....so we can dance together over the truth of Jesus Christ....Happy Sonday...if we lived close I'd be a tea sipper with you daily.....

Kathy said...

Hello Belle,
God specialized in using those others wouldn't expect. It is wonderful to see His hand in everything - whether we realize it at the moment or looking back. It is enough to know that through it all - God is in control! AND He loves us!
Hope you have a wonderful week,
Kathy

Belle said...

Rhonda- It would be lovely to have tea together and talk about God!

Kathy- I hope your week is good too! It is good to know He is in control.