Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Psalm 17 - We are the Apple of God's Eye.

Psalm 17 - My Favorite Part.

I call on you, my God, for you will answer me;
turn your ear to me and hear my prayer.

Show me the wonders of your great love,
you who save by your right hand.

Keep me as the apple of your eye;
hide me in the shadow of your wings.

Since reading the Psalms I picture myself being under the shadow of His wings. I love that image. 

I consider my children and grandchildren as the apples of my eye. Being the apple of God's eye is a happy thought. I found some references and comments on what that means.

God says, "Keep my commands and you will live; guard my teachings as the apple of your eye." Proverbs 7:2

"... he who touches you touches the apple of his eye." Zechariah 2:8

The apple of his eye; literally, the mannikin (אִישׁון) of his eye, the pupil; so called because in it, as in a mirror, a person sees his own image reflected in miniature, or because, being the tenderest part of the eye, it is guarded as one would a babe. 

Verse 2. - Keep my commandments, and live (see on Proverbs 4:4). As the apple of thine eye; literally, the little man (ishon, diminutive of ishof the eye; so called from the miniature reflection of objects seen in the pupil, specially of the person who looks into another's eye. It is a proverbial expression for anything particularly precious and liable to be injured unless guarded with scrupulous care.

The language is human. Israel is very precious to God; and they who vex and harass him are as they who hurt that which God prizes inestimably, and which a mere touch offends and injures. The word rendered "apple" is usually considered in mean "aperture," or "gate," the pupil being the entrance to the visual organ; but Dr. Wright regards it rather as a natural word of endearment, like the Latin, pupa, pupilla, indicating "a doll,"


No comments: