Monday, January 23, 2012

Growing in Grace.


I think every Christian wants to grow in grace. They want to become more like Jesus. When we seem to be so slow at growing; when we look at ourselves in despair; we need to remember it is Jesus who provides the growth. 

One of my sisters told me she didn't think she was changing for the better after a year of praying to be more loving. I told her she was wrong. I had seen a great change in her. She had more patience and kindness than ever before but she couldn't see it. I think we should look at Jesus and look away from ourselves. Perhaps we don't see ourselves the way God and others see us and we will  be discouraged.

These are some quotes from Henry Drummond on Christian growth.

Violent efforts to grow are right in earnestness, but wholly wrong in principle. There is but one principle of growth both for the natural and spiritual, for animal and plant, for body and soul. For all growth is an organic thing. And the principle of growing in grace is once more this, "Consider the lilies how they grow." 

The lilies grow, Christ says, of themselves; they toil not, neither do they spin. They grow, that is, automatically, spontaneously, without trying, without fretting, without thinking.

Earnest souls who are attempting sanctification by struggle, instead of sanctification by faith, might be spared much humiliation by learning the botany of the Sermon on the Mount.

If God is spending work upon a Christian, let him be still and know that it is God. And if he wants work, he will find it there—in the being still. 

Natural Law, Natural Growth, by Henry Drummond.

6 comments:

Shelly said...

What encouragement, Belle! Thank you for posting!

Anonymous said...

I love the encouragement I find in the Word of God, especially the truths of how the Lily's toil not ...He is so precious to me...and I am so thankful for dear sister's in Him as you, that He has enhanced my life with..."ain't He good" wink wink ...

Belle said...

Shelly- I tend to look at myself too much, Shelly. I need to be reminded often that it is all Jesus.

Rhonda- I'm thankful also for my good friends who share their lives with me and I with them. God has made this happen and I am so grateful.

Anonymous said...

Thank you Belle, for stopping in and wishing me well...appreciate your prayers...feel better today not perky but well enough to earn dollars to pay bills... ! ;0)

Anonymous said...

Belle, okay I'm ready for a Good Morning God post! wink wink

Belle said...

Oh Rhonda, I keep wanting to post something new, but my mother, my dirty house and daughter Sandy have kept me busy - plus I always try to read all my friend's blogs before I post anything. I am behind!