Friday, January 20, 2012

Who is for Me?


I read these verses last night and they encouraged my spirit.

"Who rises up for me against the wicked? Who will stand up for me against the workers of sin? Unless the Lord had been my help, my soul would have dwelt in silence like the grave.

When I said, 'My feet are slipping,' your loving kindness held me up O Lord.
When the cares of my heart are many, your consolations cheer my soul."

Psalm 94:16-19

I believe God stands up for us against the powers of darkness. Satan would have us discouraged and rebellious, but the Lord stands up against him and helps us. Where would I be without God? In the depths of despair.

When we are slipping in our faith, when our feet slip and we make mistakes or do wrong, God is there helping us. When we are depressed and discouraged, his words and Spirit cheer our souls. What a wonderful God we worship!

Clarke's Commentary on the Bible
When I said, My foot slippeth - When I found myself so weak and my enemy so strong, that I got first off my guard, and then off my center of gravity, and my fall appeared inevitable: -
Thy mercy, O Lord, held me up - יסעדני yisadeni, propped me. It is a metaphor taken from any thing falling, that is propped, shored up, or buttressed. How often does the mercy of God thus prevent the ruin of weak believers, and of those who have been unfaithful!

4 comments:

betty-NZ said...

Such wonderful words. Thanks.

Belle said...

Your welcome, Betty. Blessings and love to you.

Unknown said...

Very encouraging. It is nice to know we have a Father there for us whenever we call out for Him. Oh that I might turn that into a daily relationship - not just time of need relationship. The type where I only talk to Him when I am in trouble.

Belle said...

Mason-Yes, we need God to talk with God daily, to have special times when we go to Him in prayer.