Thursday, January 5, 2012

Pearls Can be Trampled Underfoot.


Jesus said, "Do not give what is holy to dogs or throw your pearls before pigs. Otherwise, they will trample them with their feet and turn around and attack you." Matthew 7:6

This has always been a verse that has been hard for me to understand, for how do you know if you are wasting your time telling someone about God? The commentaries had this to say:

"The meaning of this proverb, then, is, do not offer your doctrine to those violent and abusive people who would growl and curse you; nor to those especially debased and profligate who would not perceive its value, would trample it down, and would abuse you." http://bible.cc/matthew/7-6.htm

I remember my mother telling me about her older sister Mae. She was not a believer and my mother tried to witness to her of the love of God. Her sister, who had been a Christian once and knew the Bible, said, "Don't cast your pearls before swine."

It was a shocking thing to hear her say. I would think Jesus is saying that if we have tried once to talk with someone about God and they get angry that we should then just pray for them that the Spirit of God will work on their hearts. We cannot argue a person into belief.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ya know Belle, to not cast my pearls before the swine, is something I try my best to allow the Holy Spirit to lead and guide me in: For sometimes the Swine is changed by the Pearls cast and I for one do not know the heart of others: Therefore, I try to stay prayerful about casting my pearls...it is easier to "blog" my pearls for others can move on or hook up.... a personal face to face casting sometimes is to "harsh" for others ...God just has so many ways and thoughts that are so above ours! And when I leave the casting to him then all goes as His Plans are Purposed! Some will never receive the Pearls ...sad isn't it...such liberty, such life found in those precious Pearls of Truth! Hugs and Happy Weekend Belle

g!oW said...

Matthew 7-6. Something to really think about isn't it? .. And so true.
Hi Bell
I wanted to share with you an award that was given to me by Rhonda.
I was instructed to give it to seven others and you are one of them that I wanted to express my appreciation.
Head out to my blog and receive your award: http://sunnyglo.blogspot.com
glow ಌღ

Belle said...

Rhonda- Yes, we must ask the Holy Spirit to lead us in this. He will guide us what to say and who to talk to. Very good.

Glow- Thank you so much for the award! I really appreciate it. Hugs to you.