Sunday, January 15, 2012

"I Never Knew You."


Jesus said, "Not everyone who says to me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of my Father in heaven will enter. Many will say to me on that day, 'Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and cast out demons in your name and do many mighty works in your name?' Then I will tell them plainly, 'I never knew you. depart from me, you who break God's laws.'" Matthew 7:21-23

Not everyone who says they believe in Jesus or preach and do work in His name are truly his followers. They may believe God exists, but they do not have him in their hearts. Jesus says, "I never knew you." They never asked Jesus in or knew him as their Savior.

Without knowing Jesus we cannot have the fruits of the Spirit: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control. The people Jesus is speaking of are carnal, still living under sin no matter what they may say. Most of us have known, seen or heard of  so-called Christians like these. It is a sad and horrible thing to live a life in this way.

How does this happen? I don't know. I don't understand the human heart with the depth and wisdom of God, but I trust him to judge rightly.  God wants us to do his will. Why? Because it is the best and most beautiful way to live our lives. Because then we can love everyone and do good. Because then we become a blessing to the world instead of a curse. Jesus once said that without him we can do nothing good. I believe him.

4 comments:

Shelly said...

This was a great devotional to start my morning, Belle. Thank you!

Silver Strands said...

Good words Belle. And the best way to know Him is to try to be like Him, right? I think you eluded to that - the trite saying, "What Would Jesus Do?" is indeed something to keep in mind!

Belle said...

Shelly- Thanks, Shelly. I hope you have a wonderful week teaching!

Silver- I have often asked myself that question, and it is a very good guide for our lives. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Belle, without Jesus we are lost and undone! I think of those that confess Lord Lord but know him not..knowing him produces his seeds of peace, joy, love within us so that they can mature and be evident for others. so thy can see the likeness of him in us..