Monday, January 17, 2011

Our Life is but a Breath.


"O Lord, make me know my end
and what is the measure of my days;
let me know how fleeting I am!

Behold, you have made my days a few handbreadths,
and my lifetime is as nothing before yo.
Surely all mankind stands as a mere breath!"

Psalm 39:4-5


Even if we live to be 100, compared with the age of the universe it is but a breath. Even if our lives are happy all the time (and I've never met anyone like that), even if we have all we desire from this life, even if we have found our true love for a partner, it will be over all too soon.


"Let me know how fleeting I am." If you think over all the happiest days of your life, know and understand that God will give you days like that for all eternity, if you give your life to Him. How can we compare a life on earth to eternity in heaven? "Eyes have not seen, nor has it entered into the heart of man, what God has prepared for those who love him."


Some people are afraid to give their lives to God because he may make them give up things, he may change things in their lives. He does do this, but what people don't realize is that he changes your heart so that you no longer want those things. You don't even have to work at it or even try. You feel no loss, you don't long to go back; at least that is the case in my life. And the best part is that you realize what a great person God is. Actually, that can take a while, but eventually you do realize how lucky you are to have him for a friend.

2 comments:

Clarence Heller said...

So true! Nicely put.

Belle said...

Thank you for your comment, Clarence.