Thursday, January 6, 2011

Where Are You God?


Psalm 13:1-6

"How long, O Lord? Will you forget me forever?
How long will you hide your face from me?
How long shall I take counsel in my soul,
Having sorrow in my heart all the day?"

Many people have felt as David felt; forsaken by God, ignored by him. But I like how David ends this Psalm:

"But I have trusted in your loving kindness;
My heart shall rejoice in your salvation.
I will sing to the Lord,
For he has dealt bountifully with me."

After what David said at the beginning of this Psalm, how does he then end with trust? He didn't feel God's presence, he felt abandoned and alone.

This is what faith is; believing in spite of our feelings. Because David knew that God was good, he knew he should trust him. He remembered how in the past God had led him. He remembered that he was saved. David could rejoice in that - he could rejoice in who God was and that God had saved him spiritually.

We should never rely on our feelings. Feelings mean nothing, it is the truth that means everything. I pray that we will lean on the truth that God loves us.

No comments: