Monday, January 31, 2011

Why?


There are terrible tragedies that occur in this world. We are all aware of this. Many times we question, "Why did God allow this?" Most, if not all, of the time, we do not know.

When Job's six children died in an accident, when he lost his business and his friends, and finally when he became very ill; he asked this question. He did not understand what was happening. He had lived a good life and had expected God to reward him.

Job asked a lot of questions, but in the end he said, "I know that my Redeemer lives, and at the last he will take his stand on the earth. Even after my skin is destroyed, yet from my flesh I shall see God; whom I myself shall behold, and whom my eyes will see and not another."

I think we can learn from Job not to ask, "Why?" It is a natural, human thing to do but it is usually useless to ask and erodes our faith. I have been guilty of asking this question of God. He has never told me why. Either I learn to trust God's judgement or I hold rebellion in my heart. It is an individual choice God has given to everyone.

"My thoughts are not your thoughts, and my ways
are not your ways, declares the LORD. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways." Isaiah 55:8-9

2 comments:

Stella said...

Probably the hardest you have to learn is surrendering to Gods will. I know I have to do it on a minute to minute basis.

Belle said...

You are right, Stella.