Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Abraham's Love and Generosity.


In writing about Abraham, Dwight L. Moody said it showed his greatness of character when he told his nephew Lot that he could have the choice of whatever land he wanted. Abraham was generous, kind and humble. He was the opposite of the rampant greed we see in corporations and most billionaires today. And imagine if the country of Israel acted like Abraham and said to the Palestinians, "Take half of the land and we will take the other half."  There would be no hatred, no war, no death.

Moody tells this story about a poor miner:
In Colorado the superintendent of some works told me of a miner that was promoted, who came to the superintendent, and said:
"There is a man that has seven children, and I have only three, and he is having a hard struggle. Don't promote me, but promote him."
I know of nothing that speaks louder for Christ and Christianity than to see a man or woman giving up what they call their rights for others, and "in honor preferring one another."

Love pushes out greed. Jesus said, "Give and it shall be given unto you, a good measure,  pressed down, shaken together and poured into your lap."

6 comments:

Sherry Ellis said...

I agree. If people weren't so self-consumed and greedy, the world would be a much better place!

Desiray said...

AMen well said Bell, last night I happen to watch Joel Olseen and he was talking about how Dwight Moody came into speaking the word of God...it as so amazing because as a little child in Sunday school Dwight was attending for awhile but he stopped going to Sunday school because he had to help the family. But his Sunday school teacher got concerned and visited him and said where have you been I missed you and love you and care and that Dwight was needed in Sunday School, well from that day on Dwight Moody never missed another Sunday School and see you see He is a well famous man...right up until his death. What Joel was saying we need to be concern about the one who left and go after them and let them know they are love and we need them. Just like Jesus left the 99 to go after that one...Great testimony...

After hearing that last night I was amazed then to come to your blog today and you talk about him as well...Talk about God's Divine Timing at Work..AMEN

Just Be Real said...

Belle great words of truth. Blessings to you dear.

SpacerGuy said...

Man has the technology to soar up into space and reach the moon but not make peace with his neighbour. Oh well.

BelovedBomber said...

I wish there were more stories like that! I know I struggle with being selfish sometimes...

Belle said...

Sherry- How beautiful the world would be if people were unselfish.

Desiray- That is interesting about Moody, I didn't know that. I've always admired his writings. It is important to go after the lost sheep!

Real- Blessings to you also, my friend!

Spacerguy- I guess greed stands in the way of peace.

Beloved- I think all people struggle with being selfish. God has to prod us to be unselfish!