Monday, March 12, 2012

The Brokenhearted.


"The righteous cried, and the Lord heard and delivered them out of all their troubles. The Lord is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit. Many are the troubles of the righteous, but the Lord delivers him from them all."

Psalm 34:17-19

The word 'heartbroken' in the Hebrew means 'broken to shivers or splinters'. Something that is broken into pieces that small is irreparable in this world. Not so with God. He can repair a broken heart. He is especially close to those who are hurting.


Barnes' Notes on the Bible
Many are the afflictions of the righteous - This is not intended to affirm that the afflictions of the righteous are more numerous or more severe than the afflictions of other men, but that they are subjected to much suffering, and to many trials. Religion does not exempt them from suffering, but it sustains them in it; it does not deliver them from all trials in this life, but it supports them in their trials, which it teaches them to consider as a preparation for the life to come. There are, indeed, sorrows which are special to the righteous, or which come upon them in virtue of their religion, as the trials of persecution; but there are sorrows, also, that are special to the wicked - such as are the effects of intemperance, dishonesty, crime. The latter are more numerous by far than the former; so that it is still true that the wicked suffer more than the righteous in this life.

5 comments:

Desiray said...

I am so glad that He is close to the broken hearted....many times I have found myself in this place and He restores me as though nothing never happen to me...We serve such an awesome God don't we sis?

Just Be Real said...

If it was not for Him to help me through my most difficult times, I do not know what I would have done. Thank you for sharing Belle. Blessings.

Belle said...

I do feel sometimes like my heart was shattered into a million pieces, but God is putting it back together by his love and grace.

Anonymous said...

I've been broken to splinters, seemingly beyond repair on a few occasions. Good thing he's a carpenter and know how to fix things.

Belle said...

Hello, Stephen. Yes, it is a miracle how he can help us.