Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Forgetting God.



"Can a young woman forget her jewelry or a bride her wedding ornaments? Yet my people have forgotten me, days without number." 
Jeremiah 2:32

If you are a married woman you probably remember how carefully you selected your dress, veil, shoes and jewelry. There were pictures taken and mementos kept in a special place. You don't forget your wedding day.

Israel was God's bride and yet they had forgotten him.

"Be careful not to forget the Lord who brought you out of Egypt, out of the house of slavery."
Deut. 6:12

But even after all God did for them, they did forget him and it hurt his heart.

"Praise the Lord, O my soul, and forget none of his benefits."
Psalm 103:2 

Years ago, sometimes I would go through the day and realize I had forgotten to take time with God that morning. I had forgotten to pray. I started asking God to remind me and he did. Sometimes now, if I am reading or blogging, I hear his voice in my heart asking me to spend some more time with him. I'm thankful for his prodding and thankful he helps me remember. I never want to forget God or his benefits for even one day.

5 comments:

Shelly said...

How sad it is that we too often forget Him. I'm sure it grieves Him, and even thinking about how it must hurt Him makes me never want to ignore or forget Him again. He's so good to love us constantly, even when we are forgetful of Him.

Desiray said...

The bible speaks clearly how some will fall to the way side and stop listening to sound doctrine. I pray everyday that I don't fall that is why I stay in my word and in communion with the Lord.

I've seen people start out hungry for God full of zeal and all of a sudden they lost their first love just like the church in Ephesus...in Revelation

Belle said...

Shelly- God is so patient. When we are far off he calls and calls to us. I am such a slow learner in spiritual things and God has been so patient with me.

Desiray- It is very sad to see people walk away from God. Sometimes they come back, other times they don't. I pray also that I won't fall away.

Just Be Real said...

Thank you Belle for sharing. Blessings.

Sherry Ellis said...

It is sad that we often forget about God. We get so wrapped up in our busy lives. Thanks for this great reminder!